Terms and Conditions
On behalf of the students, faculty, and staff of Northwestern University, we are grateful for the participation of our alumni and students in Northwestern Network programs. The Northwestern Alumni Association (NAA) considers the records it maintains on students and alumni of the University to be highly confidential. Some information maintained by the NAA may also be subject to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) or other protections. As a result, any infraction of this policy may result in an investigation to determine the source of the violation and solution to resolve the matter, including, but not limited to, removing alumni or student access to the Northwestern Network Online Portal and/or dismissal from Northwestern Network programs. Program participants must read and agree to comply with these Terms and Conditions in order to be eligible to participate in Northwestern Network programs.
- Use of Confidential Information: I understand that all constituent information found in the Northwestern Network is confidential and is to be used only for the legitimate purposes related to the Northwestern Network. I will not share this information with others or seek to use it for any purposes unrelated to the program.
- Confidentiality: I understand that conversations with my mentor/mentee or host/extern are subject to standards of confidentiality, as outlined in the Northwestern Network Code of Conduct.
- FERPA Federal Law: I understand that disclosing academic standing or grade information about my mentee or extern to anyone without the mentee or extern’s consent would be a violation of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records.
- Release, Waiver, Discharge and Covenant Not to Sue: I am participating in this program voluntarily, and I agree that I will not hold Northwestern University, its officers or agents, or the Northwestern Alumni Association (collectively, “the releases”) liable for any injury, regardless of cause, that I may sustain in connection with my participation in Northwestern Network programs. I hereby release, waive, discharge and promise not to sue the releasees from any and all liability, claims, demands, actions and causes of action whatsoever for damages to my person or property arising from my participation in the Northwestern Network. I further hereby agree to defend, indemnify and save and hold harmless the releasees and each of them, from any loss, liability, damage or costs they may incur relating to my participation in the Northwestern Network. I hereby further represent that, should I bring a mentee or extern to my workplace, I will secure any and all necessary permissions for the mentee or extern to be present, and that, as between me and the releases, I will assume any and all responsibility for the actions of the mentee or extern and shall defend, indemnify and save and hold harmless the releasees and each of them, from any loss, liability, damage or costs they may incur relating to the mentee or extern’s actions in my workplace.
- Protection of Personally Identifying Information: The Northwestern University Alumni Association discloses personally identifying information only to its employees, volunteers, contractors and affiliated organizations. Some of those employees, volunteers, contractors and affiliated organizations may be located outside of your home country. In addition, Northwestern University Alumni Association may disclose personally identifying information in response to a subpoena, court order or other governmental request, or as otherwise required or allowed by law. By using the Northwestern Network Online Portal, you consent to the disclosure of any information you supply to the NAA, as set forth herein. If you are a registered user of the Northwestern Network Online Portal, the NAA may send you communications to tell you about new features, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date with what is going on with Northwestern University. You may opt out of such communications by using the embedded unsubscribe link at the bottom of said email. The NAA takes all measures reasonably necessary to protect against the unauthorized access, use, alteration or destruction of personally identifying information obtained through the Northwestern Network Online Portal.
- Terms and Conditions Changes: Although most changes are likely to be minor, the NAA may change these Terms and Conditions for the Northwestern Network from time to time, and in the NAA’s sole discretion. The NAA encourages visitors to frequently check this page for any changes to these Terms and Conditions for the Northwestern Network. Your continued participation in the Northwestern Network after any change in the Terms and Conditions for the program will constitute your acceptance of such change.
- Violation of Terms and Conditions: I understand that any violation of these Terms and Conditions is grounds for dismissal from the program.
- Reporting Violations: Please report any violations of these Terms and Conditions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated as of December 1, 2016